Tuesday, January 3, 2006

Real Architecture

Happy New Year! 



In every class that I teach (and now on my website), I always refer to Vitruvius and his 3 principles of design:  utility, durability and charm.  As is frequently the case the wikipedia has an excellent write-up on Vitruvius.  The page also leads to the original text of his book, On Architecture,  which can be found here.  In this translation, the fabled quote can be found n Book 1, Chapter 3, Section 2, "
All these should possess strength, utility, and beauty."



I have not finished reading it, but what I have read is truly fascinating, timely and also corroborates with the depiction of the Roman Empire  in the HBO series Rome, which I highly recommend.  I will post additional entries on this book in the next month.



Since 2005 was a busy year for me, I was not the best blogger and have lots of topics and student submissions in the queue.  I resolve in 2006 to be a much more active blogger, averaging at least one per week.  We will see at the end of the year how well I do!  It is always great to provide estimations and track it with reality.



Later!



No comments:

Post a Comment